THE KIRBY BAND

NICHOLS, NY

 

The Kirby Band, of Nichols New York, is one of the oldest continuously performing bands in the nation. Formed in the early part of the 19th century, the band has been performing since 1876.

There had been bands in Nichols, NY since the Tutton Band began in 1829.  From 1863 to 1876, there was only a fife and drum corps.  In 1876, J W Peckett formed the Nichols concert band.

A. B. Kirby was one of the original members and took over as leader in 1879. He remained the leader of the group until he was 87 years old. In 1907 the name of the band was changed to The Kirby Band. Kirby died in 1949 at the age of 92.

Home base for The Kirby Band is the Kirby Band Building (formerly known as the Old Asbury Church) on West River Road in Nichols.

Members of the band are volunteers from the Northern Tier of Pennsylvania and the Southern Tier of New York.  Members' age groups vary from high school to retirees. The music varies almost as greatly. From Joplin to Sousa, from big bands to the big screen, from the early 1900's through the new millennium, there is most certainly a niche for all music enthusiasts.

The band meets weekly year round, with a break late December through January, but is most active between the months of May and September, participating in parades and concerts alike. The band has traveled to such local areas as Corning, Elmira, Binghamton, Deposit, Owego, Watkins Glen, Montour Falls and Ithaca, as well as almost every town in between.

The band is always looking for new volunteers in all instrument sections, as well as people who love to conduct. There are no auditions, no membership requirements (except for participation), and no dues. We play for the love of music. The band is eager to participate in parades, festivals, musical workshops, and concerts.

  

PHOTO IS OF UNKNOWN SOURCE

 

 

PHOTOS COURTESY OF THE TOWN OF NICHOLS, NY